UPDATED: MORE INFORMATION BELOW
The Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the current risk of COVID-19 in Canada as low, but common sense precautions need to be taken by everyone.
Canadians aged 65 or older, as well as those with compromised immune systems or underlying medical conditions are at increased risk.
Visit the following link for daily updates from PHAC: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html?fbclid=IwAR0zsXrqsXW2_vYnrSZN8hZB_TprzalAvKt0qttPkndCeMJ-_BBlnfHkO4A
Additionally, here is a quick reminder of some of the best practices to help prevent the spread of viruses:
- stay home while sick;
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands (or use your elbow or shoulder if no tissue is available);
- avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes before washing your hands;
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (or clean your hands often with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer); and
- clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
My staff and I have been challenged by the question of: "How do we maintain the same level of service while minimizing need for people to feel they have to actually come to the office?
The review showed that about a third of the visits to my offices have nothing to do with the federal government, as they are the jurisdiction of municipal or provincial levels of government.
We concluded that common sense suggested that by having people call or email first will do two important things:
1. Allow us to make sure a visit is even necessary
2. Allows us to have a traceability registry of everyone who comes into our public office space should there be need for follow up.
So as a temporary measure to help minimize unnecessary viral exposure situations during this uncertain time, I respectfully ask that those seeking assistance from my office to please call or email first before showing up,
If a visit to the constituency office is necessary, an appointment shall be arranged in a timely manner
Please call ahead us at 1-888-326-9655
Or email at: email@example.com
Another important part of the reviews showed that more than half of the visits to our offices involves people dropping things off, signing forms, or picking things up. We are currently exploring ways to securely to make the transference of materials simpler and safer.
Things are likely to get worse before they will get better.
There are going to be tough decisions and tough times ahead.
By working together we can get through this.
Look for further updates soon.
Please look out for each other, especially those that can't get around as well.
Thank you and be careful.